Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Willy Warmers

Winter Wool

It’s wonderful to walk into a well stocked woolshop. The shelves bursting with bales of soft, colourful, textured wool. It’s enough to get me feeling very creative and encourages me to make something – anything.

All I want to do is look, feel, think, look some more, imagine the jersey and visualize the blanket.

The sales lady keeps drawing me away from the luscious balls of fluffiness to a sample chart lined with an inch per sample of every wool available.

I don’t want to choose wool from the sample book – I LOVE wool and I want to feel the wool, I want to see 50 balls of the same wool huddled together, I want the wool to speak to me.
How do you explain to the sales lady that this is an experience, and to get her off your back?

But how MUCH will you need?
mind bubble…………….AS MUCH AS I CAN AFFORD TODAY

What is it that you’re using it for?
mind bubble…………….ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING

But surely you know the size per item?
mind bubble…………….WE DON’T KNOW WHAT THE ITEM IS
Her heavily made-up eyes looking down her nose through her designer spectacles.
“Die wol is tog so duur, jy moet jou mates ken!”
(“The wool is so expensive these days – you should know your measurements!”)

Why does she have to know WHAT you’re crocheting or how much wool you need?

After her inquisitive prodding and poking around to find the reason for my wool choice, loudly encouraging all the women in the shop to “participate” in the purchase – I told her, “Actually mevrou , my daughter and I want to make a very large consignment of Willy warmers for the winter, and NO we don’t know how much wool we’ll be needing, but it must be soft and definately stretchy”

No comments:

Post a Comment