Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bird Cage

I wake up early and pop my washing into the washing machine.
My little garden has a big tree in the middle and on the far side is my single garage.
Hanging the washing on the drying rack in the garage, I'm deep in thought.
The security gate has automatically locked behind me as I come in.
A half an hour later I'm ready to go to work but can’t place my house keys.
Looking around with a frown I remember that I’d been outside.
Of course when I look through the leaves of my big tree I see the bunch of keys hanging innocently from the garage door.
You know that sinking feeling.
I can somehow understand someone locking themselves out, but locking yourself in?, seems impossible.
I peer outside my kitchen window and and see my neighbor in his boxers and call “helllooooo, excuse me, hellloooooo.”
All this does is send him scuttling back into the cover of his flat!
My shoulders slump with a disappointed “Aarg”.
I try again, this time aiming at a fully clothed man on his way to work.
He looks around to see my arms reaching through the little kitchen window and comes closer, slowly.
I smile widely but not too widely, I don't want to scare him away.
“and No, I don’t want to arrest you, accost you, or marry you!”
(I don’t say this, I only think this)All I’m asking him to do, is walk around to my back gate, jump over the wall, and hand me a bunch of keys.
I explain the reason for the early morning gymnastics to a very dubious frown and he agrees to do my bidding.
He hands me the bunch of keys through the security gate, and as I reach out and clutch at them, the story of Hansel and Grettel comes to mind.

I watch to make sure that he hops straight back over that wall.

You can never be too sure, you know.
There are some strange people around.

No comments:

Post a Comment