Thursday, September 3, 2009

Persian Panic

I look at my toenails before going out.

The ruby nail polish is half chipped away and looks awful. I consider redoing them.

Naa, I’m wearing closed shoes anyway so this can wait until tomorrow.

We arrive in Camps Bay at the solid stainless steel gate and press for entry.
A discreet bleep allows us onto the winding concrete path lined with tropical palms.
We reach the top where water trembles in the rim pool.
I look toward the bay where wet mist is gathering over the water.

The huge windows of glass give us a glimpse of the inner sanctuary of flocati rugs, flames whispering from the fireplace, a huge ottoman and luxurious throws, comfortable and chic.

Hello Daaaahlings, limp wrists and cheeck kisses all around as we step onto the Persian rug.
“Dooo come in”, “We follow the British model so please leave your shoes at the door”
As everyone calmly complies I have a strange sensation in my gut and as I too take off my shoes, I look up and make a ridiculous joke hoping that everyone will be fixated on my face and not, please no, NOT look down at my feet!

"I think I’ll head for the powder room?”, and off I go keeping my toes away from the crowd.
Safely inside I rummage furiously in my bag – I KNOW I had it somewhere.
Think. Think. Think.
I swan out with a huge smile and sparkling eyes (keep looking at my face!) and ask my friend for the car keys.
He shakes his head frowns and his hands flurry around.
“Left something in the car”, I say
“Your shoes!, it’s freezing out”, he says
but I’m gone.

Fast mini steps down the tropical pathway and straight to the boot of the car – GOT IT!
I pop myself into the front seat and paint my toe nails……Aaaaaah Bliss
I feel a deep sense of relief.
I’m saved.
Order has been restored.

Getting back was a slow process with toes spread wide. I must have looked like a bird on lily pads as I carefully made my way back toward the pool area. I made a point of examining every palm and bush to disguise my affliction.

My friend did have a little frown on his face when I got back, but I just smiled as I lit a cigarette, sat on the little wall and crossed my legs.

This side and then that, I fanned my widespread toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment