Saturday, March 10, 2012

Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink

April is the gardener in my complex and was doing a “job on the side “ for me……..during complex work time…..he said when he had a moment he’d work on digging me a new bed.
I got home from a sweaty session at Virgin Activ and got to work on my computer, putting off a much needed shower. 
From outside I heard a long and worried wale... “MIESIEEEEEES! ons het a GROOT probleeeem!!!”
I jumped to the back door and watched the powerful rise of a water fountain pouring up and out of the ground.
"Moet ek vir Miss Rista bel!!" (the complex manageress)…..NO! Madame! I'll be in BEEG trouble – his eyes the size of saucers.

Standing still for a few seconds looking blankly at April, I had an idea!

I tell him to make a duck. 

He runs.

I jump.

Into the red muddy water.

Smearing my face and clothes with red mud and rolling up my pants I look around for my phone.
"Rista! come quikly, I've hit a water pipe" I shout down the line and she appears around the corner two minutes later with a surprised face.
"Hemel maar jy werk jou gat af hier!" says Rista.
I smile and nod.
She calls the plumber who gets there is about 5 minutes flat. I'm impressed.
Unfortunately he has to close down the main water supply and gets to work. I have just enough time to shower and run.
So I make sure he has everything he needs and ask him – “so, there’ll still be water in the geyser?”.
Nope, the water won’t even come out of the taps! Huh? No pressure! Of course!

What now ???

It’s time for a swim in the complex pool. Brilliant! Not perfect, but it's a solution. I quickly don a bathing suit and grabbing a towel I sprint up to the pool area. 
The water was beautifully cool as I rubbed at my stained body as hard as I can.
When I get back the plumber is up to his ankles in red mud and I tell him about my wash in the complex pool and “caprivi shower” swearing him to silence.
I commend him on getting to me so quickly and he says “no problem I was on lunch, I live at No. 9” 

Ah, nice.

I roll my eyes.

I'm off!

As I approach the gate I see Rista (the complex manageress) with her clipboard, pursed lips and pen. April is walking toward her -

I open my window and shout "Hey! April!"

"Yes Miesies?", he hollers.

"Dankie vir die pik wat jy my geleen het,  jy sal nie glo wat gebeur het nie!"

"Wat Miesies?", he shouts.

and with a big wave, accelerating out of the gate, "Ek het 'n blerrie waterpyp gekap!"

No comments:

Post a Comment