Friday, March 9, 2012

Rhapsody's

Rhapsody’s.

The name in itself conjures visions of rapture, delight, ecstasy and makes one hopeful.

Rhapsody’s.

The place where all the over forty singles go to look cool, be seen, hang out .

Rhapsody’s.

I look at anyone who’s been and know they have a social life, they have friends, lots of friends.
These people always seem taller than me, larger than life, popular and with it.
So is this is my mission, my goal, to be able to say that I too have a social life.
I swish into the parking lot as if I’ve been here plenty and saunter in straight up to the bar counter.

A young man approaches, a sweet smile, his head tilted – condescending.
I ask him if I can order a drink – he says yes of course – he looks confused – he ask where I’m sitting. “Nowhere,” I say “ I’ll stand at the counter if that’s ok?”

“If you don’t drink, what are you going to do in a pub?”, says the reasonable voice in my head.

I boldly order a tonic and soda and the guy grabs two glasses with ice. “ No, no, mix the tonic and soda in one glass”.

“Oh,” he says, with eyebrows raised and then a little frown ?

I feel like buying cigarettes to give myself something cool to do, but I don’t smoke so decide rather to jab my straw into the ice and fiddle around in my glass for a while –

Then I turn my back and lean against the counter, smiling to myself as I send a few sms’s as if I have a very busy and interesting life.

I smile at Jo’s one word answer as if he’s told me very long and interesting story and I reply, with a very long and interesting story.

Then I sms Harry and make plans for a Pilates lesson with a look on my face that says I am loved, I have a lover, and I’m sending and receiving sexy messages.

Anyway after arranging my life via sms and exhausting all facial expressions on my list that belie how empty and lonely I feel, I waft out, head held high.

At home I console myself with a packet of Marie biscuit sarmies slathered together with smooth butter, and whatever’s on SABC2.

Good Weekend? My colleagues inquire.

It’s all I have to mutter nonchalantly,

“Rhapsody’s” and of course, they’re impressed.

 As they should be.

I obviously have a social life darling.

No comments:

Post a Comment