Friday, October 2, 2009

Oops!

Ok…So, you and I both know that you NEVER assume someone pregnant on the grounds that they are a little chubby and may LOOK pregnant.

I learned this lesson in the eighties in Bloemfontein.
I was late for work one morning and rushing, I shot the stop street.
I don’t think it would be wise to mention that I was daubing mascara onto my eyelashes at the time, but I was. Isn’t it amazing how your lashes in your twenties are, or seem to be thick and long and beautiful and they become short and thin and non-co-operative when you’re over the age of forty five? Oh, you aren’t over the age of forty five?
Well I was twenty two then and mine were beautiful.

…….back to the stop street (which wasn’t working!). So I didn’t see the stop and crashed straight into the door of a white car!

Bugger!

And the usual shock and horror, screaming, swearing and tears.
So as I approach the woman in the drivers seat with an “oops!” look on my face, I see that she’s pregnant.
“Oh my goodness!” I say “Is the baby ok?”
She glares at me and with venom dripping from her voice, which has prevented me from making this mistake again for over twenty five years says "I'm NOT pregnant!"

Yesterday I met a woman who started chatting away at me.
I didn’t know her from a bar of soap and she told me where she bought her top – from foschinis. I did the “ooh” and “ahh” (It WAS beautiful).
She mentioned that her boobs had gotten SO big (showing me with her hands, just how big) and that she’d put on so much weight.

Well, there you have it – she DID look pregnant, and she spoke as if she was pregnant and YES, I did! “Well, I wouldn’t worry just yet”, I said “You can loose it all after having the baby”, and added “congratulations!”

She was very sweet, "I'm not actually pregnant, but a few people have made the same mistake."

Somehow that doesn’t make me feel any better.

I’ve broken a twenty five year record!

No comments:

Post a Comment