Saturday, January 30, 2016

Granny Gabby and the Archangel Gabriela - Toastmasters Xmas Ghost Story

Mr. Toastmaster.
Ladies and Gentlemen.

The scene was set for yet another Xmas. The tree in the corner was brightly lit with tiny flickering lights and baubles, gold and shiny. The presents were wrapped and piled under the tree. Unopened treasure.
Looking at the scene Milly realised that something was missing and went in search of the box which contained the Archangel Gabriela. The doll was a reminder of Granny Gabby who had died on Xmas eve 10 years before. As she opened the box she experienced a feeling of nostalgia and perhaps the scent to Granny Gabby's perfume. She was certainly a feisty old bird and at times stubborn and outspoken. Milly unruffled the stiff tulle and placed the Xmas Angel gently on the table next to the tree and went to greet the guests arriving for the Xmas eve festivities. Milly looked back at the Angel lovingly and was taken aback when she saw a glinting in the dead black eyes. A chill ran down her spine.

"Hell yeah, I'm feisty! Wouldn't you be if you had been in a box for 360 days? I have 5 days a year in the prime seat on the table. A perfect position to see the goings on over Xmas and see the great grandchildren a year older each time. I've had enough though. Ten years is a long time to be packed away in the box. All I wanted to do when I passed over, was to get a last look at the family and hid in the Angel Gabriela. I thought this would be appropriate being my namesake. Blow me down I get stuck in the trinket for heaven's sake, no pun intended. These little black beady eyes are less than sufficient windows and besides, this dress is not me.
I need release. I need to expand my horizons. I need to fly. My porcelain face is thin and cold. My plastic eyelashes are thick and heavy. Host to a doll is not what I meant when I said "I'll be with you in spirit".
G Host I ask you!
My fingers are very plastic and pink and moulded to a cheap gold plastic harp. Nonetheless I concentrate hard and send all of my energy to the little strings. Yes!... and I hear, not a good sound, but a sound of whining and it increases in intensity and I hear footsteps..."

The family heard the strange vibrating and ran to the lounge. The out of tune whining was coming from the harp in the Xmas Angels hands. Their mouths hung open as they watched the little harp expand and release like the ribs of a small child. The sound increased in intensity and pitch and created such tension that it shot out of the Archangel Gabriela's plastic fingers. With the forward motion of the harp, the Angel became unbalanced and fell to the floor before reaching hands could rescue it from smashing to the floor.

Granny Gabby was finally free from her self imposed imprisonment. She was without limitations and had let go. Her spirit was free and filled the room.

As the doll broke the family was in awe of the melodious and exquisite music. A rich perfume filled the air and everyone was filled with a sense of belonging and joy.

Merry Xmas.

1 comment: