Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Platinum or Platinum?

So I have to meet friends at the Hartebeespoort Dam.
I get directions "onto the Platinum Highway and stay on it!
Pass through two toll gates each approximately R7.50.
Before you get to the Dam you’ll pass a BIG wall – Joost van der Westhuizens new development.
The journey should take about forty minutes."
Got it!
I give a few pilates classes on Zambezi Road and I’ve seen the Platinum Highway signboards – so I feel I’m sorted and head off confidently at 8am to be in time for breakfast just before nine.
I pass a number of Platinum Highway signs and feeling cool, hum away to myself.
First toll gate in sight and it’s R9.50?.....mmm ok close enough and then oh? wonderful ! – there’s the long facebrick wall.
I’m impressed on two counts.
That my friends even knew that this was Joost’s development, and that Joost had a low cost housing development that he didn't advertise. After all of stories I've heard maybe I was wrong about the man.
Another Platinum sign board.
I wondered when I was going to veer West? but kept going and breathed a sigh of relief when I see the second toll gate in the distance.
The charge is R35.50 and the alarm bells start to sound.
I also havn’t seen any Hartties signboards yet? but hang on, there’s one up ahead and I keep going.
Bela Bela..............isn't that Warmbaths?
I can't believe it!
I say a "Mantra when Lost" which goes something like........."relax don't panic we are still in South africa relax don't panic fuk think breathe fuk you'll get there relax don't panic we are still in South africa relax don't panic fuk think breathe fuk you'll get there..."
I ask for directions, again.
The nice man tells me that it’s not too far.
"Turn around, go back through two toll gates R35.50. and R9.50, turn west when you get to Pretoria and you'll be heading in the right direction Madam."
Well to say that my face dropped is a bloody understatement!
I nearly fainted, at which point I got a phone call to say “Where ARE you!”
All I could do was stare, breathe, and say “I’m coming”.
So, I did get onto the right road.
I did go through the two R7.50 toll gates.
There they were! The very same Platinum Highway signs!?
I saw the long wall, although rich and creamy and plastered.
I realised that I was right about Joost and that he had not become a charitable philanthropist, .............and there’s a very large bill board with his face plastered all over it, advertising his new and exclusive upmarket development.
I did get to the dam.…….. albeit at 10.30am.
I had a lovely brunch and a wonderful day thank you very much.
.…..and NO I do NOT want to discuss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment