Tuesday, August 14, 2018

My life is a pond

My life is a pond.
A seemingly unruffled surface
the prettiness of lilies atop,
with open sunbathing smiles
which respond to a welcome sun.

They hide the roots that anchor in the rocks
and rotten leaves, that lie sodden and sullen,
waiting to become food for fish.
Memories of yesterdays tree.

An ever changing cycle,
at night the flowers close and sleep
as stars take their turn to shine.

I lie on the life giving bed of fermentation
under water, looking up through my hopes and fears
that distort a miraculous sky.

I wonder at their purpose - surely not only to dance and shine?

and as the night-shift bids me well and the stars wave me goodbye,
I realise that they gave me hope while the sun was busy elsewhere.

MgM ©

No comments:

Post a Comment