Thursday, March 10, 2016

Snakes Alive! Dead? or Shed. (CC6)

How would you react to hearing the word "Snake"?
I see some shudders and some scowls. Gooseflesh?

How would you react to seeing a snake.

Jump and scream out loud or take tiny mincing steps in reverse?
You could well be very excited and even be filled with a sense of joy.

What would you do?
Try and beat it to death or let it go on it's way?

On the farm I had to discourage the gardener from flattening a snake so flat from top to toe that you could use it as a tie.
There would be loud gesticulating and pointing as I drove in the driveway and there it was hanging on the fence.

My children loved snakes and kept them for many years.
Pythons, skaapstekers, brown house, mole snakes, redlips and anacondas all passed through their hands.
They would be delighted to see a snake and expectant if a rock was upturned to find slithering treasure.
They had a bag which looked like a windsock attached to a broomstick and would present the dark hole to an escaping snake. The snake would inevitably seek refuge there and they "had it in the bag" so to speak.
Bringing boys home from school on a visiting weekend would produce tied socks inhabited by wriggling pets. I would often have to free wheel down van Reenen's pass while they located the escaped reptile.

I started off being very fearful of snakes, got used to them, realising that they were an important part of the eco system and of maintaining balance.

I recently moved house and went into the shed to find white paint. I was rummaging around moving boxes and pulling away old carpets, saw a snakeskin, thought, "how cool", carried on rummaging and........the penny dropped!
A snakeskin.
So I froze.
Except for goosebumps covering my whole body I was very still.
My eyeballs scanned left to right, up and down as my body stayed in perched position.
I very slowly started to reverse and at the door shouted out loudly, "Is there a snake in here?"
I listened and definitely heard a rustling.
I wasn't sure why I thought the snake would understand the question but obviously some parts of the brain don't function as they should all the time. I shouted out the question again and again I heard the rustling.

I phoned a friend who was thankfully close by and he arrived with boots, goggles, gloves, the snake pole and a bag.

We carefully packed out the shed, keeping our eyes peeled until the shed was empty.
There was no snake.
I was more than a little embarrassed but packed everything back and bought the man a six pack of beer.

My first encounter with a snake was the biblical version which of course was deceptive, evil and cursed.

Historically snakes represent fertility or a creative life force.

A snake is a very good mother.

In Jeremy Narby's book Cosmic Serpent the DNA strands are depicted by snakes as the "origins of knowledge". This would fit in with Amazonian Shamanic ceremony where the snake represents the mother energy and is wise, supportive and knowledgeable. The snake represents regeneration and healing.

I would encourage you next time you hear the word snake or see a snake to realise it's importance and the fact that it has no concern with you.

Let the snake pass to live another day.

I will also allow the snake, if and when it appears to stay in my shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment