Saturday, August 13, 2011

Live wire

I wore these wire bangles for almost two years. I love them. I never took them off. Every day I washed off the black colour on my arm without a thought. After a few hours of drumming every fortnight I had a very dark grey/purple sheen on my forearm.

Ten days ago I started getting a "shot" of metal-taste saliva that was so strong I had to suck sweets often during the day. After 5 days I suddenly woke up with the idea to take the bangles off. Firstly I struggled because they had become so much part of my identity. Ego reared it's head and I was surprised at my psycological resistance and felt a physical pang of regret as I placed them on my shelf.

The next morning I woke up with a "mother" of a headache. I'm not a headache person, but have had migraine and head cold and tension headaches. This wasn't any of those. This was a typical detox headache which made me want to reach for my bangles!

The headache lasted for three days in which time I looked up "metal poisoning" and was surprised that without being melodramatic, some symptoms made sense. The fog in my mind, the taste in my mouth and the feeling of "dragging" myself through each day, longing to hit my pillow.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment